Before you start mowing your lawn with a push reel mower it is essential that you are aware of every tip and trick involved in the overall process, so that you can mow with much more ease and aptness.
May it be an expert or a novice, to know and understand the right technique and its correct implementation plus the factors to be kept in mind while mowing is of utmost importance.
Here, are some useful tips that can prove to be of great use for mowing your turf with a reel mower.
1. Height of grass
You should not let the grass in your lawn to grow more than 4 inches. As reel mowers are not fitting for cutting overgrown grass.
2. Height setting
It is always advised to perform mowing at a height that is possibly the lowest among all the height settings. Keep that in mind that you do not mow exceeding one-third of the height of the grass blade. In order to prevent weeds from blocking in between the blades, opt for the highest height adjustment setting.
3. Prior cleaning
If your lawn is full of debris, stones and unwanted weeds, and your mower doesn’t support its removal, then in that case you should hand pick such objects and stones that can come in contact with the mower blades and damage them.
4. Impact of change in climatic conditions
Instead of mowing in accordance with the time intervals after which you preferably and regularly mow, opt for mowing with respect to climatic conditions such as rainfall, temperature, dryness, etc.
• When it rains in a considerable good amount and the temperature stays warm, the grass will tend to grow at a rapid pace. In such a situation, you will be required to mow frequently.
• Although you should mow within shorter time gaps, but you should wait for the grass to dry as wet grass is not easy to cut.
• In a weather condition, when there is less moisture content and dryness starts to show its impact, the grass should be mowed at a shorter height.
While using your mowing machine regularly, it tends to wear off and its lasting capacity degrades. The blades often turn blunt which leads to uneven cut along the turf, other accessories installed with the mower may not work as per the expectations, lack of lubricant may interrupt its butter flow performance.
• It is essential that you maintain your machine once in every month. Lubricate the parts as and when you feel the non-smooth functioning of the mower.
• Brush off the stuck debris, leaves and grasses in order to keep the blades sharp and lasting.
• It is always recommended to mow in a direction opposite to the direction in which the grass has grown.
• You should go for manual or hand pick removal of weeds that cannot be removed by the means of mowing.
• Keep altering the adjustments of the cutter bar. Tight it whenever required.
• Clean, sponge and polish the mower on a regular basis.
• Don’t wait for the grass to grow too long. It is always better to mow at regular intervals when the grass is shorter in height in order to avoid the excessive use of muscle power and labor.
Mowing can be fun and easy if you do it the right way. Following the above mentioned tips can make the process a lot undemanding and comfortable. Also you can achieve the desired look for your lawn very easily.